Top tips to get your new life in the UK off to a flying start

The list of things to do when moving to the UK is a long one. From making sure that you have everything you need for your travel to finding a place to live and getting a job; there’s a lot of stuff you need to consider and get ready before the big move.

However, there are some key things that you won’t be able to sort out until you are in your new home. But, that are just as important and will help you get off to a flying start.

Getting a National Insurance Number

A National Insurance Number (NINo) is part of the basic documentation you should have when living and working in the UK. It will help you ensure that all of the National Insurance contributions and tax you pay are registered under your name. Your NINo will also be your personal reference number within the UK’s social security system.

Getting a National Insurance Number can take a few weeks so you should apply for one as soon as you arrive in the UK. It is possible for you to start work before having your NINo, as long as you can prove that you have the right to work in the UK and let your employer know that you are waiting for it to arrive.

For more detailed information on NINo and how to apply for one, click here.

Setting up a council tax account

You will need to pay council tax if you are an adult, are not in full-time education and own your home. If you rent the property you live in you will need to check your tenancy agreement to find out who is responsible for paying council tax.

To set up a council tax account you should contact your local authority, who will help you get registered. They will also send you a council tax bill and advise how, when and how much you will need to pay.

To learn more on how to pay council tax, click here.

Registering with a GP

Registering with a GP is important to ensure that you receive medical care whenever you need it.

It is very common for people to register with a GP that’s near to their home, however you can choose any GP practice that best suits your needs.

The best way to register is by visiting the practice you’ve chosen and requesting for a registration form there and then. Some GP practices may ask for proof of ID, especially if you are registering any children, so make sure to bring one with you.

If you’d like to find out the GP practices in your area, this NHS website can help you.

Getting a Driving Licence

If you have a driving licence that was issued in your native country you might be able to use it to drive in the UK, but only for a limited time. This applies mainly to people from outside the EU and other designated countries.

If you don’t currently have a driving licence you will need to pass both a theory and a practical driving test in order to be able to apply for one.

You can find out more about driving licences and how to apply for one here.

Opening a Personal Account

Once you start working and earning you will need a safe place to keep your money. That’s why opening a personal account is a good idea. Having an account will also make paying your rent and bills much easier.

Opening an account with a high street bank can be difficult, time-consuming and expensive with all their paperwork, credit checks and confusing pricing packages. But there are other options that can help you get a personal account quickly and easily, like Arro Early Access.

With Arro, the registration process is done online, takes only a few minutes and there are no credit checks involved. Once you have finished filling out your application form, you will have instant access to your account and we’ll send you a contactless MasterCard in the post. The best thing about Arro is that there are no hidden charges.

For more information on Arro Early Access, click here.